Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Incredible Bulk (Head)

The finished article
Well this last weekend saw a trip south to collect the bulkhead from Dave at Prestige and Classics in Manchester.The work done by Dave is truly first class and I spent quite a time looking at it with starry glazed eyes, the kinda of look reserved initially for Anita Harris all those years ago (if you don't know who that is, then you shouldn't be restoring a Series 3!) The colour is Marine Blue and it is the original colour spec for the factory standard colour from 1957 - 1985 and the code is JCC LRC.006 . 


The item was then carefully bubble wrapped and loaded carefully into the back of the family estate alongside my bemused young son who shared the back of the car with it. Believe me a game of eye spy with a four year old when it always started with 'B' and was always 'bulkhead' on his turn, made for a long 256 mile trip!


Eventually we made it back and tonight I managed to lower the bulkhead in place and bolt it up. I had ordered two new bolts for the job from Craddocks but unfortunately they were slightly too wide a diameter so the original bolts were used.


The cockpit complete
The Engine bay side.

The only downside was a couple of slight scratches that were made on the lower posts as it was carefully persuaded into place, but luckily they were only surface wounds, the powder coating still in tact and nothing a slight touch up wont sort. It is after all a Land Rover.


The next job now is to rub down and paint up the front wings and the floor panels. I have left the gearbox tunnel top plate, that joins the bulkhead to the gearbox cover with Dave to refabricate as this was quite shot at and I think a couple more pieces will find there way south before the end of the project, one of which is the front radiator panel which, like most is shot at, at the bottom. (If your reading this Dave, be warned!)


I am no way connected with P&C but just lucky enough to come across such a superb craftsman and I have no problem in blatantly plugging Prestige and Classics on this blog if it helps someone else to restore their Landy.

1 comment:

  1. Truly an interesting post. It is fascinating to watch you progress with your 1:1 scale 'meccano' model.

    Now if I had one of these............

    I read that you have used the old bolts for reassembly - were they in good condition to enable you to do this? I assume they were as your workmanship wouldn't settle for anything less I'm sure.

    Keep the blog coming.

    ReplyDelete